In the past, I always regretted myself for being an Introvert. I tend to believe that nobody likes an Introvert where as everyone wants to be an Extrovert, until I got this Book, The Introvert Advantage by Marti Olsen Laney. Yes, My life has changed forever.
Its a great read. I just want to emphasis on this topic of Two kinds of Introversion, i.e. Right Brained and Left Brained.
Over a long time, I observed that not all introverts are same, some are more comfortable in public speaking and are very playful among friends, but still I was wondered to see that they are actually more of an Introverts.
Before we start, let me structure the brain,
Right Hemisphere of the brain,
- Controls the left side of the Body
- Responsible for emotions, imagination, humor and ideas.
- Arts like dancing, playing music, painting etc.
- Recognizing expressions and patterns.
Left Hemisphere of the Brain,
- Controls the right side of the body
- Center for Languages and writing
- Understanding speech, reading and speaking.
- Logical thinking, problem solving.
So, by now, You must have figured out. I, myself an Right brained introvert, have many (almost all) the qualities mentioned by Marti.
If you are a Right Brained, then you must be,
- Having a good sense of humor
- Respond to events with emotions
- Playful in solving a problem
- Use hands a lot in conversation
- Deal with several problems at once.
- Notice patterns and think in pictures.
- Belong to the creative aspects of life (Arts)
- Not realize all that you know
- Probably having the book ‘Emotional Intelligence’ by Daniel Goleman (otherwise get one…!)
And the negatives are,
- Having a little language ability
- So you face difficulties in verbalizing your ideas
- Doing several tasks at a time tend to screw you up, but not all the time
‘Right brained introverts have numerous talents, but many of them are difficult to translate into traditional job skills. They are creative and my seem eccentric or curious to others.’ – Marti olsen Laney
So, if you are an introvert, I would strongly recommend you to get a copy of this book. Here’s link for it, The Introvert Advantage - Marti Olsen Laney.
If you are a Right brained introvert, I would strongly recommend you to get read this book. Link for that, Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman.